Super Simple Skybox is the ultimate solution for creating beautiful and dynamic skies in your Unity scenes. With this asset, you can set up a stunning procedural skybox in less than 60 seconds, with no coding required. Compatible with URP + BIRP and both perspective and orthographic views, this asset provides tons of features for artists to customize and extend to their needs.
Remarkable features include physically-based limb darkening for the sun and moon, and a procedural star rendering mode that emulates the real distribution of star temperatures, creating a realistic night sky. The sunset can also be fully customized by combining several gradients to create the perfect sunset for your game. Moreover, you can set the exact angular diameter of celestial bodies, like the sun and moon, to achieve 100% realistic results or to achieve your artistic vision.
This asset is easy to use, plug-and-play, with a user-friendly UI to configure the skybox, including cloud textures, sun and sunset colors, sky colors, moon properties, procedural or texture-based stars, and more! It also includes additional materials, shaders, textures, and scripts to enhance your skybox experience.
In summary Super Simple Skybox is an all-in-one package that makes creating stunning dynamic skies in Unity faster, easier, and more efficient than ever before.
- Plug-and-play: Drag and drop this skybox material into your Unity scene’s skybox material slot. You’re done.
- Extendable Code Free: Artists welcome! All shaders included in this pack are provided with Unity's Shadergraph, making it easy to extend and enhance this skybox shader to your needs without coding. Want to change the way the night skybox works? No problem with Shadergraph.
- Customizable: Configure this skybox for Unity with dozens of parameters ranging from cloud textures, sun and sunset colors, sky colors, moon properties, procedural or texture-based stars, and more! All from a user-friendly UI.
- The sun and moon render with physically based limb darkening - an optical effect seen in stars where the central part of the disk appears brighter than the edge. This system even accounts for the relative attenuation of different wavelengths of light!
- Every star is a different temperature. The procedural star rendering mode uses novel algorithms that emulate the real distribution of star temperatures. These star temperatures are then evaluated using a proprietary black-body radiation algorithm to create a realistic picture of the distribution and variety of colors in the night sky.
- We know beautiful sunsets are crucial to getting the perfect look for your project. Our sunsets combine several customizable gradients together to create the perfect sunset for your game.
- Celestial bodies, like the sun and moon, are typically measured using an Angular Diameter. This measurement describes how large the object appears in the sky. For example, the sun has an angular diameter of 0.53 degrees while the moon has an angular diameter of 0.52 degrees. With this skybox, you can set the exact angular diameter of the sun or moon to achieve 100% realistic results or to achieve your artistic vision.
Frequently Asked Questions
Everything you need to know about this asset.
No FAQs found yet.
Still have questions? Ask in our Discord.
Is this skybox compatible with both perspective and orthographic cameras?
Yes, Super Simple Skybox has been tested and works well on both perspective camera and orthographic camera projections.
Can I customize the sky color?
Yes. You can customize the color of the sky at the horizon and directly overhead (zenith). These colors automatically blend into each other between the horizon and the zenith. You can set these colors for both day and night - you have a day horizon color and night horizon color and a day zenith color and night zenith color. The skybox automatically blends from the day to the night colors as the sun goes down.
Can I show or hide the ground?
Yes! You can disable the ground color in order to give the impression of the character being in the sky. Just tick or untick the [.c]Use Ground[.c] option.
What is included in Super Simple Skybox?
The asset includes materials, shaders for Unity, art (textures), C# scripts, scenes, and a demo scene. The skybox material, skybox shader graph, cloud, stars, sun, light position, and skybox UV shaders, procedural stars shader, cloud textures, night sky textures, an easy-to-use script to rotate the sun, assembly definition for the skybox scripts, and a sample post processing profile are all included.
Is this skybox easy to set up?
Yes, it is a plug-and-play asset. You can drag and drop the skybox material into your Unity scene's skybox material slot and you're done.
Is this skybox easy to customize?
Yes, it is highly customizable with dozens of parameters ranging from cloud textures, sun and sunset colors, sky colors, moon properties, procedural or texture-based stars, and more. All of these can be configured from a user-friendly UI.
Are there any unique features in this skybox?
Yes, the skybox includes several unique features such as physically based limb darkening for the sun and moon, which is an optical effect seen in stars where the central part of the disk appears brighter than the edge. The system even accounts for the relative attenuation of different wavelengths of light! Additionally, it has a procedural star rendering mode which uses novel algorithms that emulate the real distribution of star temperatures. Sunsets are also customizable with several gradients used to create the perfect sunset for your game, angular diameter of celestial bodies is also modifiable to achieve 100% realistic results or artistic visions.
Does Super Simple Skybox work on mobile devices?
Yes. We recommend using a star texture rendering mode because the procedural stars can be performance intensive.
The objects in my scene are suddenly tinted blue. How do I fix it?
The "Cast Shadows" setting in the Shader Graph can cause the Environmental Lighting to bake incorrectly.
- Open the Skybox Shader
- Toggle the "Cast Shadows" setting for your target (Universal or Built-In)
- Save the Graph
- Re-bake the lighting
- Validate if the issue is fixed
In Unity 2021.3 LTS, the lighitng works correctly when Cast Shadows is enabled.
In Unity 2022.2+, the lighting works correctly when Cast Shadows is disabled.
All #MadeWithOccaSoftware projects that use this asset.
Lost and Found
The definitive precarious employment simulator! You are about to become part of Silvercup. You have a bright future ahead… but you’ll have to start from the bottom! Resolve the ridiculously ambiguous notes from the lost items department in order to make progress in your career.
Ride a large shrimp to explore a perilous island in this surreal hardcore 3D platformer. With permadeath, rare powerups, and challenging bosses, you will have to master the unique physics-based controls and embrace the dark humour to overcome the impossible.
Are you using an OccaSoftware asset in your project?
Submit your game to #MadeWithOccaSoftware so that we can feature you on our website.