This page documents the changelog for Buto, a Volumetric Lighting and Fog asset for Unity. Buto enables you to easily integrate quality volumetric lighting and volumetric fog into your Unity project.
Complete Patch Notes
November 29, 2022
- Buto now supports spotlights.
- We've introduced a new directional lighting setting. With directional lighting, you can now tint the fog based on the position of your main directional light in the scene.
- We've improved the editor GUI. The connection between the Color Influence and the Individual and Ramp color overrides is now more obvious.
September 28, 2022
- Spherical Harmonics now correctly uses the ambient light color of the scene when setting the fog world color.
- Setting your directional light intensity to 0 will no longer cause the scene to turn black.
- Buto will now use the same number of steps for every ray, regardless of the depth to opaque geometry. As a result, nearby opaque objects will now have higher quality results. The performance impact will also be more consistent frame-to-frame.
Updated Demo Scene
- The demo scene now has both a large and small environment to test. These environments should help you to understand better how the fog settings impact your scene.
September 11, 2022
- Changed the Scene Depth UV mode from Default to Raw. This fixes a sampling issue that causes aliasing when using an incorrectly upscaled version of the low-resolution depth texture in the final merge pass.
August 29, 2022
- You can now control Fog Density Mask blend modes for each Fog Density Mask component in the scene, giving you much greater control over how and where fog will render.
- Buto now includes a built-in Volumetric Noise generation system within the editor. This system is seamlessly integrated with Buto's inspector editor, so you can easily configure the look of your fog.
- You can now configure Lit, Shadowed, and Emission fog colors which are combined additively with the pre-existing Custom Color Ramp system. This gives you greater control and easier configuration for minor fog color changes. Quality of Life Changes
- The Volumetric Fog editor window has been simplified and grouped into more logical sections. When in Scene View, disabling the Fog Effects in the Scene View Options will also disable Buto.
June 27, 2022
- Decals were incorrectly rendering twice when the Decal Render Pass Technique was set to DBuffer. Decals will now render correctly for both DBuffer and Screen Space Decal Techniques.
June 17, 2022
- Incorrect UV coordinates were being passed to the Volumetric Fog shader, which resulted in incorrectly sampled fog. The correct UV coordinates will now be passed to avoid this issue.
June 13, 2022
- Volumetric Fog density will linearly go to 0 as a ray approaches the Max Volumetric Distance when Analytic Fog is disabled.Bug Fixes
- Fixed a visual bug occuring around object borders that resulted from jittering the depth UVs.
- Fixed a code error causing the Buto Lights to be ignored during the light integration step.Demo
- Changed the color of scene objects to red so that it is easier to see them among the fog, which is typically a mid-grey color.
June 10, 2022
- Integrated with the Volume Component system
- Added support for Temporal Anti Aliasing and corresponding controls to the Volume Component.
- Added Fog Density Masks and corresponding controls to the Volume Component.
- You can add a Fog Density mask from the Add Game Object menu from Game Object -> Effects -> Buto Fog Density Mask
- Added Spherical Harmonics support
- Introduced additional controls for performance, such as Maximum Self-Shadowing Octaves
- Adjusted Analytic Fog equations
- Adjusted some editor minimum / maximums.
- Added 24 more volumetric noise textures Improvements
- Added Lacunarity and Gain parameters. These parameters give you better control over the final look of the volumetric noise.
- Adjusted the fog sampling algorithm so that we sample through the fog volume more evenly, giving less noisy results for most use cases.Bug Fixes
- Fixed an issue causing some material parameters to be reset when exiting and re-launching Unity.
- Fixed an issue causing the fog to sample the Color Ramp map as if the fog were further away than it actually was. Color Ramp functionality will operate more consistently now.
- Added 5 more volumetric noise textures (2 higher resolution perlin noise textures, 3 worley noise textures.Improvements
- Added a Horizon Shadowing option, which realistically causes fog to become shadowed when the main light falls below the planet's horizon line. Increases performance cost.
- Removed the maximum limit on Volumetric Fog Distance.
- Added an option to completely disable Analytic Fog, renamed Non Volumetric Fog to Analytic Fog, and removed the maximum limit on Analytic Fog Distance.
- Added an option to enable Self-Shadowing Volumetrics. Self-Shadowing causes light to be attenuated as it moves through a volume of non-zero density, resulting in shadowing on the far side of the volume. Computationally expensive, especially when paired with Octaves.
- Added an option (Octaves) to increase the quality of the volumetric noise by resampling the noise texture over progressively smaller domains. Computationally expensive.
- Adjusted the Noise Intensity Min/Max slider to a Noise Intensity Mapping Slider. Previously, this slider basically only allowed you to increase the range of intensity values in the scene. Now, this slider allows you to clip values outside of the mapping to create more sharply defined noise.
- Adjusted the calculation method applied to fog density when supplied to the Analytic Fog. Analytic Fog should now be more coherent with the Volumetric Fog under a wider variety of circumstances.Bug Fixes
- Adjusted the calculation method used to to construct the final noise values out of the input noise textures. Final noise values will now correctly occupy a [0, 1] range, which improves quality of final rendering.
- Adjusted the Wind Velocity calculations so that it operates consistently regardless of the Noise Tiling Domain setting. In other words, changing the Noise Tiling Domain will no longer also indirectly affect the apparent wind velocity.
- Fixed an issue that could cause Buto to fail to re-create itself between scene loads.
- Added tooltips to all editor controls and renamed some parameters for clarity.
- Changed Height Falloff parameter [0, 2] to Attenuation Boundary Size [0, inf). Height Falloff parameter previously represented an abstract value attenuating the fog density over height. Attenuation Boundary - Size now represents a concrete value at which the fog will have been attenuated to 36% of its original value.
- Created a separate assembly definition for the OccaSoftware.Buto.Demo namespace region. Reminder that you can safely remove the entire DemoResources folder once familiar with the asset.
- Updated Readme to reflect the GameObject/Volume/Buto Fog Volume method of creating fog volumes in scene.
- Fixed a rendering issue that could occur when using a single shadow cascade.
- Fixed an issue causing Reflection Probes to render black when the Buto Fog Volume was in scene.
- Upgraded to Unity 2021 LTS. Future updates will target Unity 2021 LTS until the next LTS release. Unity 2020 LTS is locked to version 1.3.2.
- Improved Editors
- You can now create a Buto Light from the GameObject/Light context menu.
- You can now create a Buto Fog Volume from the GameObject/Volume context menu.
- Fixed an issue causing Volumetric Point Light intensity to approach infinitely high values in some cases.
- Fixed an issue that could occur on import due to Package Manager Dependencies
- Added Volumetric Point Light support
- Any Game Object can be designated as a Volumetric Point Light by adding the Buto Light component
- The Buto Light component can inherit lighting parameters of a Light component on the same Game Object if one is present
- Fixed an issue that could occur on some graphics platforms
- Fixed an issue when transitioning to a new scene
- Added custom editor GUI
- Introduced Sample Count slider.
- Introduced option to disable animation of raymarch offset over time
- Introduced public API, GetFogMaterial and SetFogMaterial
- Added a script demonstrating an example of using the SetFogMaterial method.
- Added two more default Fog Materials
- Removed all const constructors to ensure coherence with GLSL
- Introduced Volumetric Noise Intensity sliders.
- Removed Volumetric Noise falloff over distance
- Fixed an issue that could occur when increasing the Base Height above 0.
- Corrected an issue with Fog Emission Color sampling.
- Fixed an issue that could occur if the Fog Render Feature is added to a Renderer without a Buto Fog Volume in the scene.
February 15, 2022
- First release
More about Buto - Volumetric Lighting and Fog | Game Asset for Unity URP
Your game's environment is boring. Fix it with Buto.
Lightning fast, infinitely customizable volumetric lighting and fog. Set up in 60 seconds. Join 360+ game devs already experiencing the future of volumetrics.
What features does Buto have?
- Physically-based: Our volumetric lighting and fog accurately renders atmospheric particles and light scattering using algorithms described in leading technical papers and strategies from major AAA studios.
- Volumetric Lighting and Shadow: Objects realistically occlude lighting from interacting with the fog, keeping your fog grounded in your scene.
- Fast: Optimized, high-performance rendering with intelligent depth-aware upscaling (~0.7ms on an Nvidia 1080 desktop equivalent).
- Volumetric Noise: Built-in customizable volumetric noise gives texture to the particle distribution. Choose from 5 configurable volumetric noise styles or import your own texture for the ultimate control.
- Atmospheric Height Fog: Particle density exponentially decreases over height, resulting in realistic fog attenuation over altitude.
- Long-Range Visual Consistency: Toggleable analytic height fog can be rendered behind local volumetric fog to guarantee visual realism over long distances.
- Stylized Fog Options: Achieve your artistic vision with color ramps, simple color adjustments, and light and shadow intensity sliders.
- Additional Lights: Illuminate the fog with volumetric point lighting.
- Fog Density Masks: Add or erase volumetric fog using Fog Density Masks
- Temporal Anti-Aliasing: Improved quality for high density fog with optional Temporal Anti-Aliasing.
- Integrated with the Volume Component System: Seamlessly tie Volumetric Fog into your workflow with Unity's Volume Component system. Set Global Fog parameters and local Box and Sphere Volume parameters with seamless blending between Fog Volume settings.
Is Buto easy to use?
It's easy to use.
Is Buto a popular asset?
Buto has been used by over 360+ game developers.
Where can I learn more about Buto?
Where can I buy Buto?
Buto is available on the Unity Asset Store at a base price of $10. You can find more documentation on Buto on the Unity Marketplace.
More About OccaSoftware
- Join the OccaSoftware Newsletter. Be the first to know about new releases, sales, and receive exclusive Unity tips.
- Learn more about OccaSoftware - The Best Assets for Unity.
- Check out our FAQs.
- Read the latest OccaSoftware News.
- Watch our newest release videos and tutorials on Youtube.